Family petitions. I-130 Petitions.

A U.S. citizen or permanent resident may file a petition for a spouse, parent, child or son or daughter to immigrate. Only immediate relatives of U.S. citizens are eligible to immigrate once the petition is approved. Others will have to wait in line until there is a visa number available and this can take years depending on the family relationship and the immigrant’s country of citizenship. The U.S. Department of State publishes a visa bulletin monthly with the visa priority dates.

Immigrant visa interviews may take place either in the United States, via an application for adjustment of status, or at the U.S. consulate in the immigrant’s native country via the consular process depending on whether the intended immigrant is inside or outside the U.S.

Fiance visas K-1, K-2

Fiance visas are available to a fiancé of a U.S. citizen who enters the U.S. to marry the U.S. citizen. The couple must marry within 90 days of entry. Minor children of fiancé are also eligible to enter as K-2. The applicant must prove a bona fide relationship with the U.S. petitioner. The parties must have met in person within two years of filing the petition